Though there are trains bound for Lhasa from Beijing, Shanghai, and Chengdu, the genuine Qinghai-Tibet train starts from Xining. It takes approximately one day distance from Xining to Lhasa. Each year there are around one-quarter of tourists who may take the train to Lhasa from Xining.
The Z6801 is the only train that starts directly from Xining and arrives in Lhasa. Z6801 departs from Xining every other day at 14:01 from Xining Train Station, and arrives at Lhasa at 11:10 on the second day.The train running from Xining is pressurized, supplied with oxygen altimeters, and sealed. The windows have ultraviolet filters to protect passengers from UV radiation. Here is the most up-to-date information on Xining Lhasa Train for 2018.
The benefits of train route are as follows:
Quickest Railway access to Lhasa
Xining is the initial train station of Qinghai-Tibet train closest to Lhasa. The entire train ride only takes one day. The tourists get on the train and the next day they will be on Qinghai-Tibet plateau, enjoying the breathtaking scenery through the window of the train.
High Transportation Capacity
There are over 3 trains bound for Lhasa from Xining bringing more than a thousand tourists to Lhasa on a daily basis. Its transportation capacity is three times more than Beijing-Lhasa or Shanghai-Lhasa train. The peak season of Qinghai-Tibet train comes in summer. At that time, the train ticket could be hard to buy. Yet, if tourists can start their journey from Xining instead of Beijing or Shanghai to Lhasa, it can be much easier to buy Qinghai-Tibet train tickets.
|Train No.||From / To||Dep. / Arr.||Duration||Frequency||Hard sleeper Ticket||Soft Sleeper Ticket|
|Z323||Chengdu to Lhasa||12:27/09:55||21:28||Every Other Day||CNY495||CNY781|
|Z223||Chongqing to Lhasa||12:27/09:55||21:28||Every Other Day||CNY495||CNY781|
|Z6801||Xining to Lhasa||14:01/11:10||21:09||Every Other Day||CNY495||CNY781|
|Z917||Lanzhou to Lhasa||14:01/11:10||21:09||Every Other Day||CNY495||CNY781|
|Z21||Beijing to Lhasa||15:21/12:10||20:49||Daily||CNY495||CNY781|
|Z265||Guangzhou to Lhasa||19:45/17:05||21:20||Daily||CNY495||CNY781|
|Z6811||Xining to Lhasa||20:30/18:10||21:40||Daily (seasonal)||CNY495||CNY781|
|Z165||Shanghai to Lhasa||21:32/19:17||21:45||Daily||CNY495||CNY781|
|Distance: 1970 Km|
Views Near Xining City
Outside the city lies the Qinghai Lake, with the famous Bird Island in the northwest of the lake. The island is small but becomes the home to millions of migratory birds twice a year. It makes an excellent place for birdwatching and seeing several rare species of non-native birds.
Aside from the amazing scenery that can be seen along the Qinghai-Tibet Railway. There are many other attractions for foreign visitors to Xining. As the east gate of the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau, Xining has many top attractions to keep you busy while visiting the city. In the southwest part of the city is the Ta’er Monastery. One of the six Great Monasteries of the Gelugpa Sect of Tibetan Buddhism. In the Xining city zone, there is the 600-year-old Dongguan Mosque, one of the most famous mosques in China. It is big enough to hold over 300 Muslims in prayer.
How to Get to Xining Train Station?
The station at Xining is the most popular, and busiest, of all the stations sending trains to Lhasa. It is the start of the Qinghai-Tibet Railway and a stopping point for every single train that travels to Tibet. In addition, with 4-5 trains every day to Lhasa, it is much easier to get tickets for the trip.
The station is located on Huzhu Road, in Chengdong District, and reconstruction was completed on the station in 2014. The new station is divided into the main station building and two outer squares. The building is made up of three levels, with a ticket hall, regular waiting rooms, soft sleeper rooms, VIP waiting areas, and a full market. Majority of the waiting halls are on the second floor, with departures on the ground floor and arrivals in the underground level.
Getting to the station is easy from anywhere in the city. It costs around CNY10 for a taxi from the city center or CNY1 for a bus ticket. From the airport, it is a little harder to get to the station. There are no direct shuttles and passengers need to ride the shuttle to Bayi Road Xining Airport City terminal. The shuttle takes around 40 minutes and costs CNY25, while the taxi part of the trip is just 3klm and costs only CNY10.
What sort of window view do we expect to see?
Just like the road trip by car, one could enjoy the scenery on both sides of the road. The stunning scenery along the Tibet railway line will never let you down. As the train passes Xining and enters Golmud region, the breathtaking view appears one after another. Be sure to capture the memorable experience with your camera. Major attractions are Qarhan Salt Lake, Yuzhu Peak, Kekexili Nature Reserve, Tuotuo He River, Tangula pass, Tsonag Lake, Qiangtang prairie, Namtso, etc.
Having a ride on Qinghai-Tibet train route is definitely the experience of a lifetime. Besides, the long distance and pressurized train tailor-made for acclimatization of extreme altitude make the ride different from another train journey. Following tips are suggested for tourists to better enjoy the Views on Tibet train. See more: the detailed introduction of the scenery of Qinghai-Tibet railway.
Travel Tips for Catching Your Train
- Check your train ticket or consult with your ticketing agent to make sure that you get the correct train station.
- You can board the train 30 minutes before departure time. The train will be closed 5 minutes before departure. So please well schedule your time for the transfer from your hotel to the station taking the traffic snag into consideration.
- You need to go through the security check for both passenger and luggage.
- Once you are in the main hall, please see the huge live train timetable board to get the correct waiting room for your departure train.
- In the waiting room, very often you have to stand to wait there for the coming train since usually there will be very much crowded and no seats are available.
- While in the waiting room, please see the live train timetable and a signboard indicating the boarding time of your train.
- Line up for the ticket check by the ticket collectors or insert the ticket in the turnstile and then follow the throng on to the platform ( make sure to get the correct platform).
- Show your ticket to the train conductor standing the door of your carriage before you embark on your train ride.
- After the train is moving, the train conductress will walk to you again to check your passport or ID card for security reason. In addition, you have to give your ticket to the conductor in exchange for a boarding card (if sleeper tickets). The card shows your seat number same with the ticket. When the train is about to arrive, the conductress will approach you to exchange the card back for your ticket.
- If you miss the train or lose your tickets, you cannot have your tickets refunded and you have to buy another one.
- If you lose your tickets on the train, you need to buy another one at the arrival station. So do not lose your tickets on the train
Railway Rules and Regulations You Should Know
China railway rules and regulations are different with any other country in the world. Getting familiar with these rules will make your rail travel in China more successful and happy!
Carry-on Luggage Rules:
- Not allowed to take inflammable, explosive goods, and animal on the train.
- Weight requirement for carry-on luggage: maximum weight of carry-on luggage is 10kg for a child passenger, the maximum weight for carry-on luggage is 20kg for an adult passenger.
- Size requirment for carry-on luggage: total length of your carry-on luggage ( length+width+height) should be under 200cm.
Requirements for Child Tickets
Instead of age, China railway has special requirements on height to buy child ticket. Summary of child tickets requirement:
- Children with the height under 120cm can enjoy free rail travel and don’t need to pay to travel by train.
- Children with the height of 120cm and 150cm have rights to buy discounted train tickets. Price for a sleeper ticket for a child is about 70% of that of an adult ticket.
- Children with the height above 150cm should buy fully-priced train tickets no matter how old they are.
- The timetable above is just for reference.
- We can NOT offer ticket-only service. According to the Tibet Government, foreign visitors must book a tour from a travel agency and obtain a Tibet Entry Permit before booking Tibet train ticket.
- Tibet train tickets are quite popular and always sold out quickly, please make your inquiry at least 3-5 months before your departure date.
- Because the hard and soft sleeper tickets from Other cities to Lhasa are few and hard to get, we recommend you to take a flight to Xining, and then take the train from Xining to Lhasa.
- The main advantage of traveling via airplane to Xining and then taking the train from there is that you can save time on the trip. Xining is at an elevation of 2,275 meters, you can always spend a day to help with acclimatizing to the higher altitudes. This can help to reduce the risk of altitude sickness. Moreover, you would not be missing any of the best parts of the train journey. As most of the spectacular scenery on the train from Golmud station.