Military Permit in Tibet is necessary to document along with Tibet Tourism Bureau Permit and Aliens’ Travel Permit. For those foreign tourists, who are planning to travel the military sensitive areas in Tibet Autonomous Region.
1. Where and when is Military Permit applied for?
Military Permit in Tibet is a special document issued by the Military office in Lhasa. Travelers have to apply for it along with TTB Permit in a Military office of Lhasa in advance. It normally takes 1 to 2 weekdays and the fee is about 100 yuan per person.
2. How to apply for Military Permit?
The military Permit application is not accepted from an individual. All foreign tourists need to entrust a Tibet local travel agency to apply for Military Permit.
Our Tibet local travel agency can help you. When you book our Tibet tour itinerary, please tell us all sites you plan to go. We customize your Tibet tour according to your needs and help you to apply for TTB permit and Military Permit.
If you book our Lhasa to Kathmandu overland tour or Kathmandu to Lhasa overland tour, Military Permit is not needed to apply for.
3. Which sensitive areas require Military Permit?
- Ngari: Mt. Kailash, Lake Mansarovar, etc.
- Nyingchi: Draksumtso, Pomi, etc.
- Chamdo: Chamdo, Riwoche, etc.
- If you take a flight to Ngari from Lhasa, Urumqi or Kashgar, you will have to have Tibet Military Permit.
- Overlanding trip from Sichuan, Yunnan, Xinjiang or Qinghai to Tibet also require Tibet Military Permit.
- All sensitive areas are at the border areas with other provinces in China or close to other countries.